Dear Associates,

I am the literary critical detective.

In my work I examine the mise en scene of classic detective stories carefully, paying attention to the smallest metaphorical detail, sifting through the facts and then distorting them according to my whim.
My friends have been kind enough to express some interest in my observations and so to this end I am making this journal available. I hope that you might also find it of some interest.


The Literary Critical Detective.


Saturday 1 January 2011

The Literary Critical Detective Meets an Associate.


I have finally moved from my cluttered house into a new suite of rooms in town. The move was, I admit, something of a strain on my nerves, taking as it did the best part of a weekend. However, now that I am firmly established in my new study I cannot understand why I did not brave the change earlier. The fresh surroundings have enlivened my brain. Perhaps more importantly, they have brought me into contact with new people – including the gossiping spinster Mrs Sharp, the American businessman Mr Davenport and Mr Cohen, all of whom share the Hôtel with Françoise and myself.

Amongst the great fog of new neighbours I have had the great fortune to happen across a fellow writer and thinker, a man who, to my great surprise and delight, was familiar with my work as a literary critical detective from these pages. I am speaking of the great theologian and philosopher Mr Benjamin Thistleton. We have shared a meal together and have found that, despite my initial misgivings, we have much in common. He has asked that I consider him an ‘associate’ and that, should I require an help in my work, I come to him for advice. I am immensely flattered.

I have taken the time to write a full account of my move, a description of the characters that I am now surrounded by and my chance meeting with Mr Thistleton. If you would like to read this account I am happy to make it available to you. Please send an email to my special postal address: theliterarydetective@hotmail.co.uk. Alternatively, leave a message on the wall of the Facebook group ‘The Literary Critical Detective’.

My meeting with Mr Thistleton has occasioned a great change in my approach to my work. This change is described at length in the written account referred to above. I will also take the liberty of describing it here in subsequent posts. It is of the utmost importance that you are aware of this so please keep checking for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment